This is a question I get asked at least once a week from potential clients who view my headshot portfolio.
Some questions that I may ask them back:
- Are you reconnecting with work or school colleagues and others on LinkedIn? This helps verify on some level who you are.
- Are you applying for a job in the civilian or government sector? Or both?
- Will your position involve face-to-face interaction or customer service?
- Are you exploring management and leadership options?
- Do you think that you have a look that really distinguishes you from others?
A profile photo, especially when used on social media, is often public. If you're in the market for a new position or you're actively networking your face should be public.